Airplane food usually sucks, let’s be honest. I remember one time when I was 20 I flew to Italy and got the worst stomach ache after airplane alfredo (yes, it was as bad as it sounds!) And after that, I never trusted it again! It is so crucial for me to pack my own food to make sure its healthy and plant-based, both of which are not common traits of food passed out to flyers! For short flights, I don’t need to bring food (we can all handle an hour without eating!), but as I’m currently waiting for my flight out to Amsterdam, I have a supply of food ready in my purse as hunger starts to kick in (*hint, it already has, *double hint, we’ve already each ate one of our veggie sandwiches, and maybe a few dates as well…oops!)
1. Veggie sandwiches: Just made fresh this morning at home with some sourdough and whatever veggies were left in the fridge! Oh, and lots of avocado! Mine had avocado, lettuce, broccoli micro greens, tomato, and pickles! We each have 2 (okay, 1 is def in my stomach, already!) but be aware..they can get soggy! It helps to keep tomatoes separate and add them on later if that bothers you!
2. Dates and peanut butter (and extra dates): The best the best the best!!! If you follow me on Instagram (@nourishandempower), you’ll know that this snack is my most recent obsession! I just ripped open and took out the pits of some dates and dolloped some organic natural peanut butter on top and put it in a tupperware! And kept some dates on the side that I’ve already got to snacking on!
3. Baked tofu: I wish i had longer to bake it before leaving this morning because i like the crispy texture it gets when cooked long, but either way, some quick protein and easy to pack up and eat whenever!
4. Fresh apples, oranges, and a banana for bf: All the fresh fruit that doesnt need to be chopped, wrapped or packed! They’re so easy to travel with and don’t make a mess when eating! Bananas do get bruised easily, so watch out for that!
5. Protein bars: I actually bought 2 boxes from Whole Foods for the flight and the two-week trip! I aim to get bars with the best ingredients (no added processed sugar/cane syrup, brown rice syrup, and things i can’t read!), and with at least 10 g protein! They are the best for on-the-go, since they’re pre-wrapped! This one I got is a new one, so lets hope its as good as it sounds!
6. Chopped cauliflower (and one piece of broccoli!): We had a small head of cauliflower left, so i chopped it up and threw it in a small baggy! I’m so
happy i found a way to get in some veggies (especially raw!) during my flight, because with all the pretzels and chips that go around, i knew i’d need something healthy of my own to have on-hand!
(pro-tip, you can request special diet meals for your plane ride up to 24 hours before the flight! I was able to request a full vegan meal and both meals i got were pretty good! I just stuck to eating the veggies, rice, potatoes, and fruit and avoided the rolls w/ fake butter and it was tasty and relatively healthy!)